Rice dumpling (read: zhong-zi) are traditionally eaten during the Dragon Boat Festival, which falls on the fifth day of the fifth month of the lunar calendar (approximately late-May to mid-June). Traditionally, they are pyramidal leaf-wrapped packages filled with glutinous rice, meat, beans, salty egg yolks, and mushroom.
The Darling Rice Dumpling wallet is made of high quality genuine leather , branded with two Chinese characters (meaning: winning)in the ancient form of Chinese writing, as a symbol to bring good luck to the person carrying it.
- Premium genuine leather -Durable, nice soft touch with beautiful natural gloss.
- Stylish Chinese characters brands- in the most ancient form, the pictionary Chinese!
- Simplicity - simple design with one piece of leather and a zipper only.
- Unique Key holder-leather stripe with a wooden fob.
- Size about 4 1/2" x 4 1/2 " .
- Color- Darling Dumpling comes a wide variety of colors and leather style : Burgundy Red , Chestnut Brown , Coco Brown, Dawn Orange, Passion Red , Turkey Blue ...(more are coming up)
Because rice dumpling (read: zhong-zi) sounds like winning in Chinese, so people nowadays consider rice dumpling a symbol of good luck and often eat/give dumpling to students/lottery players on the important days.
History: It is to commemorate the death of Qu Yuan, a famous Chinese poet from the kingdom of Chu who lived during the Warring States period. Known for his patriotism, Qu tried unsuccessfully to warn his king against the expansionism of their Qin neighbors. When the Qin took Chu in 278 BC, Qu Yuan's grief was so intense that he drowned himself in the Miluo river . In memory of Qu, people threw packets of rice into the river to prevent the fish from eating his body.